It has been several months since I last opened up my service, today I am excited to announce I am opening it up again for a limited number of spots!
Since the PBN de-indexing I wanted to make sure the risks were fully understood and today I plan to share a few data points to try and provide insight into what I believe both the risks and benefits of a private blog network building service is in 2016!
This post includes…
- My Case Study Results (recent results!)
- Is any PBN Safe and why a Silo’d PBN is Safer
- Data from an Open Marketplace on how many people use PBN’s
- Peoples Plan to Use a PBN for the Six Figure Website challenge
Case Study – Quick Results – Doubling Investment in 2 Months
This case study was exploiting an opportunity using PBN’s and not a reliable long term safe business strategy but still demonstrates the power of quality PBN links.
The way I used expired domains and a private blog network in this case study was aggressive and not what I recommend.
In November I purchased 4 Amazon affiliate sites for $900 they had been making about $100 per month total. The sites had limited traffic, short earning history and had a lot of questionable links already built to them.
Based on the time of the year and existing risk of the backlink profiles I thought it was a great opportunity to build more PBN links to these sites and get a bump in traffic before the Christmas buying season.
- Nov 4 Approached to buy sites
- Nov 9 Purchased 4 Sites for $900
- Nov 9 Sites Transferred
- Nov 13 Sites Fully Set Up with My Tracking ID
- Nov 10-20 – Invested ~$500 in PBN’s and 301 redirecting relevant expired domains
- TOTAL INVESTMENT = $1,400
- TOTAL EARNINGS (to date – see below) = $3,176
- PROFIT (in 2 months + still own websites) = $1,776
The value of the sites is certainly not a 20x multiple due to both the backlink profile risk and the Christmas season Amazon spike but still an impressive value increase overall!
I wish every website purchase I have done went this well (from 10k success to failure)!
How did PBN’s get used to help generate these results?
- Initially all the backlinks to the sites were from the sellers lower quality but very effective PBN
- I built a 5 site high quality PBN relevant to these 4 sites. Broke a few of my rules and linked back to all 4 sites from all 5 PBN sites.
- Found 1-2 relevant, clean expired domains and 301 redirected them back to each site.
This was the only promotion I did for the site, overall I don’t recommend this strategy as a business model because of the risk but it is a great demonstration of the power PBN’s have with ranking.
With the jump in rankings I was able to maximize the Christmas rush. The question now for these sites is how long will the rankings last and what will the earnings be post holiday season.
15 spots available
Can PBN’s be 100% Safe?
The short answer has always been and will always be NO!
Any promotion strategy is best as part of a larger overall strategy for a site. Overusing any one type of promotion is bad.
The approach I am taking with my six figure website challenge site to minimize the risk is to…
- Build “real” websites very relevant to my site with decent content on them and each site will be able to stand on its own. Use these sites for both outreach tools and for backlinks.
- Buy very clean expired domains that used to have very similar content on it and redirect it to content on my site that will result in the end user being better off.
- Include a lot of traditional white hat outreach for guest posting and link building opportunities. There will be a team member dedicated to this!
The approach above I believe is the safest approach (again nothing is 100% safe) and to me the benefit outweighs the risk.
What is the probability of a penalty?
No one knows the answer to that but let me try and share some information to help you. Using past history as a predictor of the future, which is far from a certainty when it comes to Google, I will try and answer.
The last PBN deindexation brought the total number of the silo’d five site PBN’s I had built for clients that were de-indexed up to 10% ever. Out of the over 900 sites built now using the silo’d relevant site PBN plan 10% were ever either not indexed or de-indexed. This % has held since the update. This means 10% of the PBN sites were deindexed and just because a PBN site gets deindexed does no mean the money site receives a penalty only that the ranking boost from the PBN is lost.
Other Examples of PBN’s Still Working
While fewer people are talking openly about PBN’s I think data from an open marketplace is a good indicator of what is really working for people flying below the radar looking to just build successful sites!
One of the great marketplaces which reveals some but not all information about successful websites for sale is the Empire Flippers Marketplace.
Right now there are 12 listings of profitable websites in which 5 are declaring they used PBN’s to rank their sites. It would be interesting to have been able to trend this over time but what it shows now is that people can be successful either way with or without PBN’s. But clearly some successful people are making the decision that the reward is worth the risk to help their rankings using PBNs.
What About People in the Six Figure Challenge?
The group of people participating in the challenge I announced to build a six figure website in 2015 include some pretty impressive people! I thought I would take a quick survey of the Google Community seeing what their thoughts on the use of expired domains and private blog networks to build and rank a six figure website in 2015 was…
Out of 46 votes 3/4’s of the community plan to use expired domains and PBN’s as at least a part of their strategy.
I was happy to see a high percentage of people were not planning on using ONLY PBN’s as their SEO/promotion strategy.
- PBN’s continue to be effective but not without risk.
- Silo’d, relevant, quality and 100% exclusive PBN’s as part of a larger overall promotion strategy I believe continue to be the safest option that offers a nice risk/reward trade off.
- Other people are continuing to have success with PBN’s and plan to still use PBN’s in 2016
Of course I could be biased but hopefully I offered a balanced overview including some unbiased data. If you are interested in having my team build a 5 site PBN for you can sign up here!
15 spots available